This is the second article in the series I’m writing on chakras.
In this article, I’m going to talk about how you can tell if your sacral chakra is out of balance and I give suggestions and lifestyle changes for fixing it.
The sacral chakra is located just below the belly button and is associated with the colour orange. On a physical level, the sacral chakra affects the health of the bladder, hips, spleen, and the reproductive organs.
The sacral chakra is the centre of our creativity, vitality, desires, and sexuality. While the root chakra is very much about what we need, by contrast, the sacral chakra is about what we want.
The function of the sacral chakra is to make us aware of all the possibilities for pleasure and enjoyment around us. This chakra is about good times, good food, sexuality, sensuality, and other physical pleasures such as cultural pursuits, and the appreciation of beauty. This chakra awakens our senses and helps us to notice what is wonderful about being physically incarnated on planet Earth.
The truth inherent in the sacral chakra is this: Earth is a playground, not just a school. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.
The sacral is also the seat of our creativity. The creativity arising from the sacral chakra is not sourced so much from Divine inspiration (that would be the realm of the crown chakra) but rather from human ingenuity born of great desire. This chakra is about finding creative ways to get the things you want out of life.
It is no accident that both sexuality and creativity are governed by this chakra (sexuality is, of course, another type of creative energy.)
When the Sacral Chakra Is In Balance…
A person with a balanced sacral chakra understands the importance of recreation, play and enjoyment in her life. She knows that these are important for her soul as well as her body, and she makes time in her life for pleasure.
She knows sex to be a part of her personal self-expression.
She is able to partake of the pleasures and joys of life.
When the Sacral Chakra is Out of Balance…
When this chakra is out of balance, it can manifest as:
- Being out of touch with the body – neglecting and exhausting it
- Sex addiction
- Being miserly with the small pleasures of life – not allowing oneself to take pleasure in the little things
- Being out of touch with one’s emotions and sensual nature – sometimes this can manifest as a strong connection to the intellect, at the expense of the emotions
- Not allowing time for relaxation or recreation
- A lack of spontaneity
- A lack of energy, vitality and joy
Reasons for Sacral Chakra Imbalances and Blockages
- A very weakened root chakra
The root chakra becomes weakened when your needs are not being met or your survival is threatened. It is very difficult to take pleasure in life when you fear for your survival. At times like these, the root chakra concerns become more important than the sacral, and this inhibits the energy of the sacral chakra.
Those who have had their physical survival threatened in a long term way in the past often have chronically under-developed sacral chakras.
- Having no time for pleasure or joy; believing that play and hobbies are a waste of time
- Having experienced sexual abuse
- Advocating austerity; not recognizing our human need for comfort, enjoyment, warmth, stimulation, or beauty
- Being chronically miserly and mean, when you have resources to spare
- Growing up in a family that did not place any value on joy, feelings, or pleasure
- Having a history of opening yourself up sexually to partners who mistreat you
Below are some suggestions to bolster the sacral chakra, if you are out of balance in this area:
- Find opportunities for fun and pleasure.
- Change your lifestyle if it is causing root chakra imbalances. For example: are you constantly in a financial crisis or feeling unsafe in your home? Very often the sacral chakra can be brought back into balance through eliminating imbalances in the root chakra.
- Have a holiday – some cultures and countries place more of an emphasis on the sacral chakra energies than others do -certain continental European cultures, such as the Italian and French cultures, generally emphasize the sacral energies more than Anglo-Saxon cultures. The French are known for their ‘joie de vivre’ – their love of good food, wine, culture, and fashion. These are all areas of life that are governed by the sacral chakra.
Here are some more suggestions for healing minor sacral chakra imbalances:
- Take a dance class, such as salsa, flamenco, or tango
- Get a new hair cut or revamp your wardrobe
- Visit a spa
- Cook yourself a luxurious meal
- Remember to treat yourself regularly
- Host or attend a party
- Create a sense of occasion for birthdays and holidays
For those who are interested in bringing more balance to their energy system, I offer a Chakra Meditation Kit which teaches you to read, heal, open, clear out and rebalance your entire chakra system. It’s a do-it-yourself guide that includes an audio meditation, eBook and a discount to the Intuitive Awakening Course.
Is your sacral chakra in balance?