I will be doing a series of articles on strengthening each chakra over the coming weeks, starting with the root chakra. This article will help you to diagnose any imbalances in your root chakra and give suggestions for fixing them.
But first, what are chakras?
Well, around the physical human body, there are layers of energy, known as the energy bodies. These energy bodies (among them, the mental, emotional, etheric, and spiritual bodies) together make up the aura. The energy in the aura is centred around seven main hubs, called ‘chakras’.
The chakra is an energy centre that receives life force energy from the Creator. Each chakra receives a different type of life force energy, which is needed for life here on Earth. Then that energy is integrated and expressed in the person’s life.
The ways in which one integrates and expresses those energies are in evidence upon reading the chakras. They contain information about your life, soul, strengths, lessons, past, and present.
The Root Chakra
Now let’s have a look at what the root chakra governs and what it looks like when it is in balance and out of balance:
The root chakra is located at the base of the spine (at the perineum) and is associated with the colour red.
This chakra is the centre of our physical well-being and our ‘energetic foundation’. All aspects of our physicality are represented here, including survival, money, ‘groundedness’, connection to reality, tribe, community and family.
This chakra is about the basics we need to have in place in order to survive, which include food, shelter, physical comfort and warmth, and personal safety.
As soon as the umbilical cord is cut when we are born, our new life force activates our root chakra and then travels upward to awaken the other chakras (although the ‘awakening’ of the other chakras will usually occur later on.) At the moment of birth, we find ourselves totally reliant upon other human beings for nourishment and protection. Consequently, our early years are a time of great significance for this chakra. If we grow up in safe environments where our physical needs are met, the root chakra will be stable and happy. If we grow up in unstable or unsafe environments, this will adversely affect the development of this chakra.
Once we enter adulthood, this chakra often becomes more active once again since we must fend for ourselves and make our way in the world, in a financial sense. The root chakra is concerned with basic matters such as ‘how can I make enough money to support myself?’
When the Root Chakra Is In Balance…
When the root chakra is balanced, it shows in a person’s demeanour and attitude. A balanced root chakra comes through as confidence and self-assurance that one’s needs will be met. Such a person is easy-going and does not worry for her survival. She knows that there is enough to go round. Invariably she is grounded and connected to the reality of her physical environment.
When the Root Chakra is Out of Balance…
When this chakra is out of balance, it can manifest as:
- Worry and anxiety that you won’t have enough
- The belief that survival is a constant struggle
- Feeling you need to be aggressive, pushy or manipulative in order to get what you need; walking all over other people in the name of material survival
- Feeling a desire to isolate oneself from others
- Feeling unwelcome and unwanted by others in the community
- Meanness and stinginess
- Feeling that one has to sacrifice one’s principles or throw integrity or dignity to one side, in order to fulfil material needs
Reasons for Root Chakra Imbalances and Blockages
Let’s look at the circumstances and events which commonly cause imbalances or blockages at the root chakra.
Blockages and Imbalances from Childhood
What happens to us during our childhood (when we are so utterly reliant upon others) shapes the development of our root chakra, for better or worse. For this reason, many root chakra imbalances will have their roots in childhood. Here are some childhood situations which can predispose us to issues in the root chakra:
- Living in an unsafe environment
- Growing up in a stressful or chaotic home
- Having unreliable parents or caregivers
- Childhood neglect; not having your basic needs met
- Being suddenly or frequently uprooted from one’s home/school without warning
- Growing up in multiple foster homes or orphanages
Here are some other possible reasons for a weak or imbalanced root chakra:
- Physical isolation
- Having had your physical survival threatened (i.e. during an accident or trauma)
- Living from pay cheque to pay cheque or living in a state of uncertainty about how you’ll support yourself in the near future
- Being under the threat of being laid off at work
- Constant travel
- Losing a family member through death or abandonment
- Drastically changing your diet
- Having a baby
- Getting married
- Getting divorced
- Having an accident; being injured; contracting a serious illness
- Starting a new business
- Finding ourselves in a part of the world that is not our home, away from family, friends and our support network
- Going to university
As you can see, any big life change or major break from familiarity can unsettle the root chakra.
My Root Chakra Imbalance
I had a weak root chakra in my early twenties.
When I was 23, I left my grandparents’ house and moved to London. I had just quit my teaching job in Spain and had recently started my new business as an Akashic Record reader.
The money I earned at the time from my new business was barely enough to support myself in such an expensive city, plus I had no savings to fall back on. I knew very few people in London and most of my family lived overseas in New Zealand.
I was staying on a friend’s couch initially and then ended up moving into a flat with housemates but our flat never felt like ‘home’ to me. I ended up disliking London and spent several months longing to live somewhere more rural.
Having my own home-based business, it was also hard for me to feel a sense of community or belonging, since I had no co-workers and few friends in the capital.
You can probably see all the reasons why my root chakra was weakened at that time.
Below are some suggestions to strengthen the root chakra, if you are seriously out of balance in this area:
- Past life regression therapy is recommended for those who have root chakra imbalances. Root chakra issues are often connected to past life situations which relate to survival fears, life or death situations or being displaced or in exile. Other common past life scenarios which affect the root chakra include being sold into slavery, starvation and famine, economic collapse or bankruptcy, experiencing a violent death, or finding oneself in inescapable poverty
- Choosing a home in one place and staying there
- Working hard to find a sense of community if you feel isolated
- Paying your own way in life: ensuring that you are not accepting money or financial support from those you do not like or whose values you don’t agree with
- Healing traumas which affect how grounded you can be in your body
- Healing childhood traumas which affect the root chakra (I recommend EMDR, Matrix-Reimprinting, and cord-cutting for this.)
(Note that severe imbalances in the chakras will require larger solutions, such as healing or a change in lifestyle, habits, or situation. The solutions above are for larger imbalances.)
Smaller imbalances in the chakras can be fixed by smaller solutions – here are some more solutions that can remedy a temporary and small weakness in the root chakra:
- We can’t always control what is going on around us. But the little things in our lives can give us a sense of control – for example, establishing daily rituals and routines such as going to bed at the same time each night; waking up at the same time each morning; having your meals at the same time each day. All of these are nurturing and stimulating for the root chakra. Sharing food with your family is also very good for this chakra.
- Revisiting your ‘roots’ i.e. where you grew up
- Saving money for a rainy day
- Eating more home-cooked meals
- Increasing your intake of protein, by eating more legumes, eggs, fish or meat-animal products are especially grounding
- Wear more red
- Attend to the details of your finances
- Spend time with a pet
- Do some gardening
- Get a massage
- Spend more time with your family – blood family and/or ‘spiritual’ (chosen) family
The Soul Group Connection
Some souls are naturally predisposed to a weakened root chakra and the soul group of origin does play a part in this. Soul groups such as Arctureans and Andromedan/Mission Realmer tend not to have strong root chakras. By incarnating here, such souls may learn to become more grounded. Other soul groups, such as Polearean, Earth and Blueprint Translator tend to have strong root chakras.
For those who are interested in bringing more balance to their energy system, I offer a Chakra Meditation Kit which teaches you to read, heal, open, clear out and rebalance your entire chakra system. It’s a do-it-yourself guide that includes an audio meditation, eBook and a discount to the Intuitive Awakening Course.
- Akashic Record Reading – for those who want to learn more about how their soul group affects strengths and weaknesses
Is your root chakra in balance?